Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Courage To Laugh... At Ourselves

While I was in Chicago this weekend, I was on my way to the club I talked about in the previous post (about Chicago).

I was dressed up for the first time in a while, wearing heels, and I totally tripped in front of a whole group of people.

Mind you, I tripped, but I did not fall.

And you know what I proceeded to do? Laugh my butt off. Yep, right there on the corner, I laughed at myself.

Why?

Well, for starters, anyone who knows me, knows that that is totally a “me thing” to do.

I’m not the most coordinated person in the entire world.

And you know what? I’m sick of sweating the small stuff. I didn’t get physically hurt, and I can’t even say that my pride was hurt all that much, because honestly, if I went through a week without tripping over my own feet at least half a dozen times, I’d be truly shocked.

And the other thing I’ve come to realize is that my true friends will embrace my quirks. If not, they aren’t true friends.

As I’ve said before, I think that disease and illness are, unfortunately, a really good way to weed people out of your life and find out who your true friends really are.

There are people that will be there for you no matter what, and there are those who will cut and run at the first sign of trouble and difficulty.

The people who have been the most helpful through all this, while they have been truly supportive, have also added humor to the situation. We’ve laughed together and cried together, but ultimately knew, that for better or for worse, life would go on – and somehow, together, we would survive.

It has been an incredibly long road for me to get to this point, where I think I can finally say that I can let go of the little things. Not all of them, of course, and I am still working on this on a daily basis. But I’m becoming more at ease with cutting myself, and others, slack.

I was quite shocked, actually, that I was able to make it through a full day walking around Chicago without totally bottoming out. But I did it! And I think this leads me to a new mantra…

No comments:

Post a Comment