Sunday, June 15, 2008

Another Word About Randy Pausch

A while ago, I posted on “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch:
(see post "The Last Lecture").

In August, Randy was given three to six months to live.

That was ten months ago.

Sometimes when I see him on TV or the Internet, I think he can come across as kind of full of himself.

On the other hand, wouldn’t you be, too, if you had defied your doctors expectations?

I think most of us have the goal that we will prove our doctors wrong, that our illnesses won’t get the better of us, and that we won’t let the medical profession rule our lives. Sometimes that doesn’t quite happen. But then again, sometimes we can even surprise ourselves!

I think that Randy personifies the idea that having a positive attitude can get you through anything. I hate to say that, because on most days I’m guilty of not having one.

His story came at a time in my life when I was questioning everything, and I know it sounds cheesy, but I think he gave me something to hang on to. Whenever I’ve seen him, he’s living each day to the fullest, because his doctors have given him every reason to believe that each day could be his last.

It’s like that quote from “Grey’s Anatomy”:
“…If you knew this was your last day on earth, how would you want to spend it?”

I’ll let you all ponder that while I go ponder it myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment