Monday, June 23, 2008

We Have All Lost Something

While I think we would all like to claim that we are strong and remain unchanged despite our illnesses, I think the truth is that we have all lost some part of ourselves in the process.

I think some of us try and put on a brave face, some of us try to externally fix internal problems and pain. And although we know our efforts are futile, we do it anyway.

There is a part of ourselves that we will never get back. I know that I can never go back to the day before I started feeling sick. I know I will never be able to get that body, that person back. I will never be a person without an illness.
And while I’m sad for what I’ve lost, I think I have also gained some things, as well.

I think that if we admit to our losses and that our lives are forever changed, we can slowly begin to let our illnesses in. Not in as in infecting us. But “in” as in a part of our lives, maybe even a productive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment