Monday, June 23, 2008

What You Make Of It

I’ve had friends tell me stories and qualify them with something like, I know this doesn’t hold a candle to what you’re going through. And despite my insistence on compassion and understanding, I’ve never asked for that.

Everyone has problems in their lives, and despite mine, I would like to think I am still cognizant of the problems of others.

Some people have lemons and they make lemonade. Others make lemon juice. Some people take what they’re given and make something better out of it. Others take what they are given and squeeze the life out of it.

Everyone handles things differently.

I guess it’s all in the way you look at things, in the way you play the game.

I, therefore, draw your attention to a poignant essay by Catherine Royce, who was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS) in 2003. The essay, which she read on NPR, can be read and heard here.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Leslie! Last night I was falling alseep in my recliner as usual and one of those TV preachers came on. Normally, I would have hit the power button and went on to sleep but his words were drawing me in. Not for religious reasons, but because he was speaking of encouraging yourself. One thing that seemed appropriate for Lupus patients was "every setback is a set-up for a comeback"
    I thought that was an amazing way to look at things.

    ReplyDelete