Monday, June 9, 2008

A Word On Invisibility

There is not a day that goes by that I don’t feel invisible.

Before, I think this feeling could be attributed to low self-esteem. But now, it really is about being invisible. It’s about being in front of people and them not really seeing who I am.

I think when people think of arthritis they think of something out of my nightmare from last week. They think of someone who is visibly disabled, with twisted appendages that no longer serve their intended purpose.

And people here about lupus a lot. It’s a condition thrown around on TV medical dramas all the time.

Every time I talk to one of my friends, that person tells me that lupus is the disease that “House” diagnoses every patient with at first. Yeah, every patient comes in with fatigue and muscle pain. What a joke. If lupus was actually that common, maybe people would actually understand it.

1 comment:

  1. Your friends should watch House more carefully... Lupus is the disease he always rejects in every diagnosis. It's to the point where "It's not Lupus." is a very popular icon/avatar/catch phrase (e.g. these images). Indeed, in one episode, House reveals that he has turned one of his Lupus textbooks into a stash for his pain pills because, "it's never Lupus."

    Er... Sorry to your friends, just felt the need to defend House. Nothing else insightful to say re: invisibility.

    ReplyDelete