Monday, January 27, 2014

Road ID Medical Alert Bracelet And IPhone App*

Today I am reviewing both the Road ID bracelet and the Road ID IPhone app. 

Road ID Bracelet

While I have purchased other medical alert bracelets in the past, Road ID bracelets are significantly less money, seem more functional, and are a bit more durable for daily wear than some of the others I have had in the past.  If you’re so inclined you can also get the silicone bracelet in the awareness color of your illness, as they have a variety of colors and styles you can pick from (if that’s your thing). 


The other thing that I really like about the Road ID concept is that if you purchase the interactive version, which I did, you are able to put all of your information online.  This costs $9.99 a year to maintain (the first year is free and if you purchase additional IDs, you get an additional year included), but you can change and update the information all the time, which is especially great if you have frequent medication changes, additional diagnoses, etc.

Information you can put into your interactive profile include personal identification, including vitals and government identification, emergency contacts, allergies, current medications, medical conditions, medical history, insurance information, physician information, address(es), passport information, and miscellaneous information.  


In an emergency, the interactive version comes with a special serial number and pin. There is also a phone number and website.  In an emergency, emergency responders can call or log in with your unique serial number and pin, and have access to all of the information you have saved online.  If you get the original version, you can customize the information engraved on the bracelet – and that’s all you get – no information database.

Road ID App


The great thing about the Road ID app is that you can put your ICE – in case of emergency – contacts into your phone.  You can then save your contacts as the special lock screen that the app provides, which includes your name, location (city and state), and up to three ICE contact names, phone numbers, and relationship, and important medical information. 

This is really handy, especially considering that it occurred to me that while I have my ICE people designated in my contacts, emergency personnel could not get to my contacts because my phone is locked.  That’s why it is so great to have that information set as your lock screen.  Then you can be sure that unless your phone totally dies, in case of an emergency, those contacts will be easily accessible to others. 


 The app also provides something called an e-crumb, in which you can input details about when you are working out so you can notify specific contacts about your whereabouts, and they can track you on a map in real time.  It also has a stationary alert, so if there is no movement detected after a certain amount of time, a message will be sent to any contacts you have listed to be notified.
 
I tried the e-crumb.  It is impressive and quite accurate as far as location.  Personally, however, I don’t think I will really use the e-crumb, but it’s great for people who are active.  I think the lock screen in and of itself is a great thing.  And I guess it sort of depends on what your goal is.  For someone who is really active and wants to be easily identified if something happens while they are running, it’s great.  For someone who is chronically ill, the lock screen is probably more useful than the e-crumb feature.

I am definitely a convert to Road ID products.  While they were really designed with super active people in mind, I think they are great for those of us who want things for everyday that provide us with peace of mind should anything happen to us.

For more information on all road ID products, visit http://www.roadid.com/.

Thanks to Road ID for giving me the opportunity to share their great products with my readers!

* I had already purchased my own Road ID bracelet, but Road ID was generous enough to provide a $35 e-certificate for one lucky reader of my blog.  I also mentioned Road ID in my Some Of My Favorite (Chronically Ill) Things For This Holiday Season  post.  

5 comments:

  1. This is really great, and it looks like a better alternative to my oft ignored medic alert bracelet. Did you know that when you get a medic alert bracelet it is supposed to signal to first responders the same thing as your durable power of attorney for health care?
    Once when they ignored it, and it was the umpteenth time, I called the medic alert. I set off a chain reaction that caused all of the EMT's and triage nurses in my entire city to be retrained on the use of medic alert bracelets. oops. LOL. The idea that the iphone lock screen can have the access right on it is a fantastic idea.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this information! I must visit their website!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this information. I will also pass it on to my Mom who is diabetic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use an even better looking and more useful medical ID called a SquID from My ID Square. SquIDs have colorful QR bar codes and unique URL/codes on them that display all medical information and immediately contact emergency contacts by text and email. Their medical profiles were designed by doctors and my doctor thinks it really is an excellent way to store all your medical information for medical records and emergencies.
    Check them out www.MyIDSquare.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice article on Road ID Medical Alert Bracelet And IPhone App

    Thanks 4 Share this
    Medical Alert Products|Phone Medical Alert|Emergency Medical Alert Systems

    ReplyDelete