Monday, February 24, 2014

Adventures And Mis-adventures In Rheum Land: Graphic Novel (Version 1)

For my Illness Narratives class, we had to create our own graphic novel.  I got really into it, so I drew it out and then computerized it.

I am sharing the hand-drawn version today and will share the computerized version later this week.  

I had never read a graphic novel before, and I never realized the amazing and powerful stories that can be told through them.  It has made me re-think the form in which I write my memoir.  Because you can tell a story chronologically and a graphic novel can make it pop, whereas just text can be a bit monotonous. 










Add steroid-induced stupidity to the list, as I spelled steroid wrong throughout. 








If you are interested in learning more about graphic novels, there is a whole genre about illness.  Specifically, I recommend Moms Cancer by Brian Fies, Stitches by David Small, and Cancer Vixen by Marisa Acocella Marchetto. 

I would love to hear your thoughts on mine, and as I said, stayed tuned for the computerized version.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! You did a beautiful job! I understand what you mean about the waiting room. I've always thought that too while looking around and wondering what those people thought about me sitting there. I can't wait to see your computerized version! **)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! (And do generally enjoy biographical/autobiographical graphic novels. :-) )

    ReplyDelete